13 Sep Fitness & Diet-Update – Setback & Hope
those who follow me on Snapchat (pilotmadeleine1) or look at my Instagram Stories (@pilotmadeleine) might have recognized that the past three months I’ve been working out very hard (everyday at least once and always at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours) and have been eating absolutely clean. I honestly don’t even know anymore how pizza or bread tastes 😛 Even today on my birthday I won’t cheat 😀 Read my blog post about my former fitness- and diet routine here.
Unfortunately it’s the case that I don’t see the desired results 🙁 I for instance wanted to loose some weight. I do see more definition and I’m also not unsatisfied with my figure. Nevertheless, after sticking to this strict fitness- and diet routine for the past three months I would have expected looking like Anlella Sagra by now 😀 Just joking… of course I know that behind her dream body there are years full of hard work but I’ve still hoped to see a bit more results 🙂
If like me you travel with so many different people you can see what other people eat or how they train. Regarding food it is definitely the case that I eat most healthy out of everyone. I’ve for instance always envied Xenia for being able to eat lots of pasta, pizza, fries and co and still being super skinny. While I consumed my kale chicken salad she would eat lots of fries and pizza without gaining any weight 😛 And also when it comes to fitness I’m definitely the one who always worksout the longest and hardest. This really made me a bit worried…
For this reason I thought I might have a thyroid insufficiency so I had myself examined by my doctor. It was honestly a bit embarassing consulting my doctor for having a “weight problem”. But my doctor is the most amazing doctor in the world and she really took my concerns very seriously.
She made a large hemogram and received very interesting findings:
1) My insulin level was too high. Because I eat zero sweets, cake etc. this was really odd for me. After she asked for more details about my diet we found out that I eat too much fruit. Of course fruit is super healthy so my values are excellent and I’m super fit, don’t feel tired etc.. However, if you wanna loose weight you should pay attention to not eating too much fruit. And especially to eat fruit rather in the morning than in the evening.
2) My tryglycerid level was too high meaning that I eat too much meat. It isn’t even the case that I’m a huge meat lover but I always thought the more protein the better. Furthermore I thought that a low carb diet is the best diet for me. But it seems like this isn’t the case (anymore).
3) I don’t eat enough carbs. This was probably the most surprising finding for me 😀 Because I always thought if you wanna loose weight you need to abandon or restrict yourself from eating too many (especially starchy) carbs. However, this doesn’t seem to be true (at least in my case). My doctor said that especially in the morning my body needs starch products in order to gain power and being satisfied. Especially for those who work out a lot like me carbs are also extremely important in order to gain muscles.
Due to these findings she gave me the following Tips:
1) Eat fruit only in the morning and not too much
2) Eat more often fish instead of meat
3) Consume lots of vegetables
4) Eat healthy carbs for breakfast (and maybe even for lunch)
The crazy thing is that many years a low carb diet worked very well for me. However, your body changes over the years and it can also happen that the optimal nutrition for you therefore changes.
Since I’ve been here in Mauritius I’ve still been training very hard and have adjusted my diet as recommended by my doctor. Already after a few days I’ve recognized how great this new diet works for me. My body finally burns fat again and I already lost some weight. This motivates me a lot and I’m not frustrated anylonger because I don’t see any results. More the opposite as my abs finally become visible again 😀
Therefore, I can only say it again how much truth is in the saying: “Abs are made in the kitchen!”. Because a healthy and especially balanced diet is soooo important! Furthermore, I also want to point out again that every body is different! What works for one person might not work for the other. It is also interesting to keep in mind that your body and therefore also its demands can change over time like it is the case for me. Hence, it definitely makes sense to consult your doctor that you trust if like me fitness and a healthy diet don’t show enough results.
Which diet works best for you?
Would you like me to share my progress on here? 🙂
Enjoy your day today!